Coin lithium batteries in holiday decorations and toys are harmful when swallowed

Candles 2Parents and caregivers should be on the lookout for an often overlooked danger that is hidden inside many of the toys, remote controls and other small items in their home. If swallowed the lithium batteries that provide the power can become lodged in the throats of children. The saliva immediately triggers an electrical current that causes a chemical reaction that can severely burn the esophagus in as little as two hours. In some cases, children have died from their injuries. So far this year, the Minnesota Poison Center has recorded 41 exposures to coin batteries. Continue reading “Coin lithium batteries in holiday decorations and toys are harmful when swallowed”