Hyperthermia and heat stroke can be life-threatening medical conditions. HCMC health professionals want to remind everyone that the best way to avoid heat-related medical problems is to:
- Stay cool – if you don’t have air conditioning in your home, go to a shopping mall, restaurant, library or movie theater to stay cool.
- Drink plenty of water (even if you’re not thirsty!). Avoid drinking alcohol!
- Check on elderly friends and family members or those who have health concerns to make sure they are adequately hydrated and cared for.
- Avoid heavy exercise – especially during the hottest times of the day.
- Seek medical attention if you have these signs of hyperthermia: confusion, inability to perspire, combativeness, fainting, rapid pulse, flushed skin, delirium.