Before you hit the slopes this winter, the Traumatic Brain Injury Center at HCMC reminds skiers and snowboarders to “Get Your Head in Gear!” Getting in gear means putting helmets on those heads to reduce the risk for brain injury. Starting this Saturday and continuing throughout the winter, HCMC will be at various Twin Cities ski slopes providing information to skiers and snowboarders about the importance of wearing a helmet. You can find details about these special events, and information about the best winter head protection, at savethisbrain.org. Continue reading
Posted in HCMC News, HCMC Press Releases
Tagged concussion, dylan ludovissie, head injury, helmet, hennepin county medical center, savethisbrain, ski, slope, snow, snowboarding, timberwolves, traumatic brain injury
Minnesota Severe Weather Awareness Week is April 16-20, 2012. Emergency preparedness experts at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC) encourage you to take time to talk to your family, neighbors and co-workers about how you can prepare for severe weather events.
“Be sure you have identified a safe location within your home for family members to meet when storms are approaching,” explains Mark Lappe, Program Manager for Hennepin County Medical Center’s Emergency Management. “A basement area with no windows is preferred. If you live in a mobile home or apartment discuss the safe meeting location with the management or landlord. In the event of damage to your home you should have a kit prepared that includes essential items.”
Lappe suggests that the following items be included in weather emergency kits :
- A weather radio and flash lights with extra batteries
- Bottled water and non perishable food items
- Water sanitation supplies
- Copies of all important documents and store them in a secure location away from home
- Extra cash
- A list of all important numbers such as insurance policy numbers, drivers’ license, passport numbers, etc.
- A “Go Bag” for each member of the family which includes clothes, medicines, toiletries and pastime items (books, cards, etc.)
- Tennis shoes, helmet, car seat Continue reading
Posted in HCMC News
Tagged damage, disaster, emergency, head injury, kit, lappe, philbrook, preparedness, prevention, safety, severe weather, sirens, tornado, trauma