Tag Archives: halloween

Glow sticks: safe to wear – but not to eat!

177682286Glow sticks, bracelets, and necklaces have become part of the Halloween experience. These toys are cheap, portable, and emit a colorful glow making them perfect to increase visibility of children while trick or treating.   

A glow stick consists of a small, fragile plastic or  glass vial containing a chemical activator housed inside a larger plastic vial containing the dye solution.  When the inactivated glow stick is bent, the glass vial breaks allowing the previously separated chemicals to mix.  The resulting chemical reaction causes a non-heat generating light emission.  While these chemicals are not very poisonous, the chemicals can irritate the skin and eyes.  If swallowed, the chemicals can cause a burning feeling.

If a child inadvertently breaks or chews through a glow stick or there are other questions regarding potential poisoning, call the Minnesota Poison Control System at 1-800-222-1222 for treatment recommendations.   Information about the Minnesota Poison Control System can be found at www.mnpoison.org.

Poison Help
The Minnesota Poison Control System is a cooperative effort between the Minnesota Department of Health and Hennepin Regional Poison Center.   Hennepin Regional Poison Center is designated by the Minnesota Department of Health to provide poison information and consultative services to the entire State of Minnesota.

###