1. HCMC became a Baby-Friendly Hospital in February 2015, which means we are among a group of hospitals that are nationally recognized as centers of excellence in maternity care practices and infant feeding.
2. It’s your choice. At HCMC, prenatal care and deliveries are done by OB/GYN and Family Medicine Physicians as well as Nurse-Midwives.
3. Providing care that is centered around the needs of your family is the guiding principle at the HCMC Birth Center. We pledge to work with you…not on you…to provide a birth experience that is unique and memorable for your family.
4. Mothers and babies room together throughout the entire hospital stay so they can spend their first days together as a family.
5. HCMC is one of the first Minnesota hospitals to provide skin-to-skin contact immediately following both vaginal and cesarean births.
6. The Nurse-Midwife Service was the first of its kind in Minnesota, and has been welcoming new babies since 1971.
7. Any patient who wants one has access to a Doula (certified labor support person).
8. Premature or very sick infants are cared for in the state-of-the art Newborn Intensive Care Unit.
9. Learn what to expect when you are expecting. You and your family can take a wide range of classes — from childbirth, to car seats, to breastfeeding, and more.
10. Experience your pregnancy and prenatal care in a group setting with other expectant mothers. In our CenteringPregnancy® program, groups of 8-12 women are seen together throughout their entire pregnancies.
11. It is very common to feel sad or anxious when you are pregnant or parenting young children. The Mother-Baby Program offers support for mothers’ emotional health.
12. Interpreter services are provided in 20 different languages, free of charge, to limited and non-English speaking patients.
13. As Minnesota’s premier teaching hospital, HCMC is home to the largest maternity care teaching site in the Midwest so you can expect expert and innovative care.
14. The Breastfeeding Clinic is staffed by Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants. Call (612) 873-MILK for breastfeeding advice. Inpatient Breastfeeding support is available 7 days a week!
15. The Birth Center has many options for increasing your comfort during labor from birthing balls to soothing tubs and music that you love. There are many choices!
16. HCMC is among the state’s top performers for having the lowest Caesarean section rates according to MN Community Measurement. We are also experts in helping you have a vaginal birth after you’ve had a Caesarean.
17. Your community physician may have trained at Hennepin. In fact, we are home to the largest maternity care teaching site in the Midwest so you can expect the most expert and innovative care.
18. The Birth Center continues to offer water birth for Nurse Midwife patients, and we also have tubs in the Labor and Delivery unit for moms who want them to help increase comfort in labor.
19. The OB Testing unit is a special department for patients with high-risk pregnancies. Our maternal/fetal medicine physicians will diagnose and carefully monitor moms to ensure the best outcomes possible.
20. HCMC has special classes for big brothers and big sisters, ages 2-10, to help them prepare for a new baby in the family.
Delivering more than 2,200 babies each year, The Birth Center at Hennepin County Medical Center is expertly equipped to meet all of the patients’ needs before, during and after the arrival of their child. Hennepin County Medical Center recognizes that the birth of a child will be one of the most exciting times in a patient’s life and provides a full spectrum of care which can be customized to meet patient needs and desires. From an advanced neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to a nurse-midwife unit, a full spectrum of options is available for families. Call 612-873-BABY (2229) for more information.
Photo Credit: #2 and #16 Megan Crown; #18 Sarah Hrudka